UK reaffirms Middle East security partnership with US despite war plans leak

UK reaffirms Middle East security partnership with US despite war plans leak
Britain's Prime Minister Keir Starmer, Cambridgeshire, Britain, March 24, 2025. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 25 March 2025
Follow

UK reaffirms Middle East security partnership with US despite war plans leak

UK reaffirms Middle East security partnership with US despite war plans leak
  • The Trump administration accidentally leaked key military information about US airstrikes targeting Houthi positions in Yemen on March 15, just hours before the attack

LONDON: Britain will continue to work with the United States on regional security in the Middle East and will deepen relations with Washington on intelligence and defense matters, a spokesperson for British Prime Minister Keir Starmer said on Tuesday.
Asked about the mistaken disclosure to a journalist of a conversation about US military action against Houthi targets, a spokesperson for Prime Minister Keir Starmer said the government was confident any communication of British intelligence with the US would not be leaked.
In an article published on Monday, The Atlantic’s editor-in-chief disclosed that officials from the Trump administration shared key military information with him about US airstrikes targeting Houthi positions in Yemen on March 15, just hours before the attack.

Jeffrey Goldberg, an experienced journalist, explained that US government officials mistakenly included him in a text channel where they were discussing the details of the strike.
“The US is our closest ally when it comes to matters of intelligence and defense,” the spokesperson told reporters, declining to comment directly on the specific story.
“We work with the United States incredibly closely on all matters in relation to defense and security ... We will continue to work with the US on regional security.”


In symbolic rebuke, US Senate votes to block Trump tariffs on Canada

In symbolic rebuke, US Senate votes to block Trump tariffs on Canada
Updated 9 sec ago
Follow

In symbolic rebuke, US Senate votes to block Trump tariffs on Canada

In symbolic rebuke, US Senate votes to block Trump tariffs on Canada
  • The Senate voted 51-48 to overturn the national emergency at the border, with 4 Republicans joining all of the chamber’s Democrats
  • But it was a purely symbolic dissent, as House Speaker Mike Johnson, a close Trump ally, is expected to block any vote on the resolution

WASHINGTON: A handful of Senate Republicans broke ranks with US President Donald Trump on Wednesday, joining Democrats to pass a measure that would block his tariffs on Canadian imports.
The resolution, supported by four Republicans and all of the chamber’s Democrats, has virtually no chance of becoming law.
But it marks a rare, albeit symbolic defeat for Trump on Capitol Hill, where his Republican Party controls both chambers and he has seen little pushback to his rampaging first months in office.
The Senate voted 51-48 to overturn the national emergency at the border which Trump declared earlier this year, which he has used to justify saddling Canadian imports with 25 percent tariffs.
But it was a purely symbolic dissent, as House Speaker Mike Johnson, a close Trump ally, is expected to block any vote on the resolution.
Trump took to his Truth Social media platform to slam the legislation as a Democratic “ploy” and make clear it is dead on arrival in the House.
“The House will never approve it and I, as your President, will never sign it,” he posted.
The four Republican senators who voted to pass the measure were Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and Susan Collins of Maine — viewed as the two most-centrist party members — as well as Kentucky’s two senators, Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul.
Republicans have a 53-47 majority in the Senate.
The Senate vote occurred shortly after Trump rolled out his plans to slap fresh import tariffs on products from countries around the globe, an announcement that sent stock markets tumbling.
 


Canada PM says US tariffs to ‘fundamentally change’ global trade

Canada PM says US tariffs to ‘fundamentally change’ global trade
Updated 59 min 17 sec ago
Follow

Canada PM says US tariffs to ‘fundamentally change’ global trade

Canada PM says US tariffs to ‘fundamentally change’ global trade
  • “We are going to fight these tariffs with counter measures. We are going to protect our workers,” Carney said in Ottawa

OTTAWA: Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney on Wednesday vowed to “fight” against US President Donald Trump’s sweeping tariffs, which he warned will “fundamentally change the global trading system.”
Trump’s unveiling of 10 percent tariffs on imports from around the world and harsh additional levies on key trading partners ignited global anger, but for Canada the impact of the latest announcement was limited.
Previously announced US levies on Canadian steel and aluminum remain in place. Canada may also be hit hard by Trump’s auto sector tariffs.
But America’s northern neighbor and largest trading partner was not singled out for additional tariffs Wednesday, and Canadian goods compliant with an existing North American free trade agreement appear exempt from new levies for now.
Carney noted that Trump’s latest announcement “preserved a number of important elements of our relationship, the commercial relationship between Canada and the United States.”
The prime minister, who replaced Justin Trudeau last month, said Trump’s trade war will “negatively” impact the US economy and will “directly affect millions of Canadians.”
“We are going to fight these tariffs with counter measures. We are going to protect our workers,” Carney said in Ottawa.
“In a crisis it is important to come together and it is essential to act with purpose and with force and that is what we will do,” he added.
Carney, a wealthy former investment banker who previously led the Bank of Canada and the Bank of England, has called a general election for April 28.
Last week in a call with Trump, the pair agreed to discuss the future of bilateral trade after the election.
Polls currently project Carney’s Liberal Party will win a majority.
That would mark a stunning turnaround for a party that was badly trailing the opposition Conservatives in polls at the start of the year.
 

 


Trump announces new ‘reciprocal’ tariffs in financial and political gamble

Trump announces new ‘reciprocal’ tariffs in financial and political gamble
Updated 5 min 22 sec ago
Follow

Trump announces new ‘reciprocal’ tariffs in financial and political gamble

Trump announces new ‘reciprocal’ tariffs in financial and political gamble
  • Donald Trump: ‘I will sign a historic Executive Order instituting reciprocal tariffs on countries throughout the world’
  • Trump: ‘Reciprocal that means: they do it to us, and we do it to them’

WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump on Wednesday unveiled a raft of punishing tariffs targeting countries around the world including some of its closest trading partners, in a move that risks sparking a ruinous trade war.
Speaking in the White House Rose Garden against a backdrop of US flags, Trump slapped the most stinging tariffs on China and the European Union on what he called “Liberation Day.”
The dollar fell one percent against the euro and slipped against other major currencies as Trump was speaking.
“For decades, our country has been looted, pillaged, raped and plundered by nations near and far, both friend and foe alike,” Trump said.
Trump reserved some of the heaviest blows for what he called the “nations that treat us badly,” including 34 percent on goods from superpower rival China, 20 percent on key ally the European Union and 24 percent on Japan.
But the 78-year-old Republican — who held up a chart with a list of levies — said that he was “very kind” and so was only imposing half the amount that those countries taxed US exports.

For the rest, Trump said he would impose a “baseline” tariff of 10 percent, including Britain.
An audience of cabinet members, as well as workers in hard hats from industries including steel, oil and gas, whooped and cheered as Trump said the tariffs would “make America wealthy again.”
“This is Liberation Day,” Trump said, adding that it would “forever be remembered as the day American industry was reborn, the day America’s destiny was reclaimed.”
Sweeping auto tariffs of 25 percent that Trump announced last week are also due to take effect at 12:01 am (0401 GMT) Thursday.
Trump has telegraphed the move for weeks, insisting tariffs will keep the United States from being “ripped off” by other countries and spur a new “Golden Age” of American industry.
But many experts warn the tariffs risk triggering a recession at home as costs are passed on to US consumers, and a damaging trade war abroad.
The world has been on edge ahead of Trump’s announcement.
Markets have been volatile as investors hedged their bets, and the announcement came after Wall Street stocks closed.
The tariffs will also reinforce fears that Trump is backing even further away from US allies toward a new order based on a vision of American supremacy.
US trading partners have vowed swift retribution, while also trying to persuade Trump to reach deals to avoid tariffs in the first place.
Germany warned Wednesday that trade wars hurt “both sides.”
The European Union will react to new Trump tariffs “before the end of April,” said a French government spokeswoman.
The 27-nation bloc’s initial salvo would counter US actions on steel and aluminum, followed by sector-by-sector measures.
British Prime Minister Keir Starmer, who made intense, said a “trade war is in nobody’s interests.”
“We have prepared for all eventualities — and we will rule nothing out,” he told parliament.
Trump has had a long love affair with tariffs, insisting in the face of experts that they are a cure-all for America’s trade imbalances and economic ills.
The billionaire insists the levies will bring a “rebirth” of America’s hollowed-out manufacturing capacity, and says companies can avoid tariffs by moving to the United States.
But critics say US businesses and consumers could bear the burden if importers pass on the cost, adding that the policy could increase risks of a recession.
“If this trade war continues through Labor Day (on September 1), the US economy will likely suffer a recession this year,” Mark Zandi, chief economist of Moody’s Analytics, told AFP.
Negotiations are likely to continue though as countries seek to halt the tariffs.
Trump has previously been persuaded however to halt tariffs on neighbors Canada and Mexico while trade talks continued.
He ordered levies on both on the grounds that they had failed to stop the flow of the deadly opioid fentanyl into the United States.
“I understand that it’s a game of tug-of-war,” truck driver Alejandro Espinoza told AFP as he waited in a queue to cross the Mexican-US border.
“But unfortunately, we’re the ones who pay in the end.”


Turkish student detained by ICE moved to Vermont before judge’s order, government says

Turkish student detained by ICE moved to Vermont before judge’s order, government says
Updated 02 April 2025
Follow

Turkish student detained by ICE moved to Vermont before judge’s order, government says

Turkish student detained by ICE moved to Vermont before judge’s order, government says
  • Rumeysa Ozturk, 30, was taken by immigration officials as she walked along a street in the Boston suburb of Somerville on March 25
  • Ozturk is among several people with ties to American universities who attended demonstrations or publicly expressed support for Palestinians who have recently had visas revoked

BOSTON: A Tufts University doctoral student from Turkiye who was detained by immigration authorities had been moved to Vermont by the time a federal judge ordered authorities to keep her in Massachusetts, lawyers for the US government said.
Rumeysa Ozturk, 30, was taken by immigration officials as she walked along a street in the Boston suburb of Somerville on March 25. She was put on a plane the next day and moved to an Immigration and Customs Enforcement detention center in remote Basile, Louisiana. There was no available space to detain her in New England, the Justice Department lawyers said.
US District Judge Denise Casper in Boston scheduled a Thursday hearing on the matter.

Casper, responding to a petition filed last week by Ozturk’s lawyers, issued a ruling on March 28 that Ozturk can’t be removed from the United States “until further order of this court.”
But on Tuesday, lawyers for the Justice Department argued that the judge lacks jurisdiction to decide Ozturk’s case. They said Ozturk’s lawyers had to file her petition in the jurisdiction where she was confined, according to court paperwork. They said the case should be dismissed or transferred to Louisiana, and that any challenge belongs in immigration court.
Ozturk “is not without recourse to challenge the revocation of her visa and her arrest and detention, but such challenge cannot be made before this court,” Assistant US Attorney Mark Sauter wrote. The filing mentioned an April 7 appearance for Ozturk before an immigration judge in Louisiana.
Ozturk’s lawyers have until late Wednesday afternoon to respond to the government’s argument.
Ozturk’s lawyers have said that her detention violates her constitutional rights, including free speech and due process. They asked the judge to order that she be immediately returned to Massachusetts and released from custody.
Rallies in support of Ozturk were held in Boston and at Tufts University on Tuesday and another was planned in Boston on Wednesday.
Ozturk is among several people with ties to American universities who attended demonstrations or publicly expressed support for Palestinians during the war in Gaza and who have recently had visas revoked or been stopped from entering the US
A Department of Homeland Security spokesperson confirmed the termination of Ozturk’s visa last week, saying investigations found she engaged in activities in support of Hamas, a US-designated terrorist group. The department did not provide evidence of that support and there was no further explanation in the government lawyers’ response Tuesday.
“We gave you a visa to come and study and get a degree, not to become a social activist, to tear up our university campuses,” Secretary of State Marco Rubio said last week when asked about Ozturk.
Hamas militants invaded Israel on Oct. 7, 2023, in an attack that killed about 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and during which about 250 hostages were seized. Israel’s retaliatory offensive has killed more than 50,000 people, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry, and destroyed much of the enclave.
Ozturk was one of four students who wrote an op-ed in The Tufts Daily last year that criticized the university’s response to student demands that Tufts “acknowledge the Palestinian genocide,” disclose its investments and divest from companies with direct or indirect ties to Israel.
Friends have said Ozturk was not otherwise closely involved in protests against Israel.


Britain’s UN envoy urges stronger protection for aid workers at Security Council meeting

Britain’s UN envoy urges stronger protection for aid workers at Security Council meeting
Updated 27 min 58 sec ago
Follow

Britain’s UN envoy urges stronger protection for aid workers at Security Council meeting

Britain’s UN envoy urges stronger protection for aid workers at Security Council meeting
  • Barbara Woodward stressed the importance of maintaining momentum in ensuring the safety, security, and well-being of humanitarian workers

LONDON: Britain's ambassador to the United Nations, Barbara Woodward, has called for urgent action to protect aid workers in conflict zones as she addressed a UN Security Council session on implementing Resolution 2730.

Speaking at the meeting on the protection of civilians in armed conflict, Woodward stressed the importance of maintaining momentum in ensuring the safety, security, and well-being of humanitarian workers.

“I pay tribute to those on the frontline and extend my condolences to the families and friends of those who have lost their lives,” she said.

Woodward highlighted the escalating risks faced by aid workers, citing figures from the Aid Worker Security Database that recorded 64 deaths, 36 injuries, and eight kidnappings in just the first three months of 2025. She noted that the majority of those affected were local or national aid workers.

“The most dangerous place to deliver humanitarian assistance is Gaza, with over 400 aid workers reportedly killed since the beginning of the conflict,” she said, adding that Sudan and South Sudan are also high-risk locations.

She expressed concern over the detention of aid workers by the Houthis in Yemen, calling for their immediate release, and stressed the need to protect those responding to the aftermath of a devastating earthquake in Myanmar.

Marking the one-year anniversary of the attack on a World Central Kitchen convoy in Gaza, in which seven aid workers, including three British citizens, were killed, Woodward renewed calls for the conclusion of the Military Advocate General’s review into the incident.

“We continue to call for the conclusion of the Military Advocate General’s consideration of the incident, including determining whether criminal proceedings should be initiated,” she said.

She also condemned the recent killing of eight medics from the Palestine Red Crescent Society, along with first responders and a UN aid worker in Gaza. “We call for a thorough and swift investigation with meaningful accountability for those responsible,” she said, urging Israel to support efforts to locate PRCS medic Asaad Al-Nasasra, who remains missing.

Woodward emphasized the need for all parties in conflict to comply with international humanitarian law, ensuring that humanitarian supplies, personnel, and aid workers are respected and protected. “States must investigate attacks on aid workers and hold perpetrators to account. Effective, trusted deconfliction mechanisms must be set up and used,” she said.

She also urged the strengthening of international commitments to aid worker protection, highlighting the UK’s participation in an Australian-led ministerial group working to develop a political declaration aimed at driving global action on the issue.

“The UK is proud to be part of the Australian-led Ministers Group to develop a political declaration to galvanize collective action to protect aid workers, and we encourage others to join,” she said.

Additionally, she called for greater support for humanitarian organizations, including local groups, whose work is hindered by inadequate funding and operational risks.

“Actors who play a fundamental role in aid worker safety face operational risks due to inadequate funding,” she said, pointing to the UK’s support for key security-focused groups such as the Aid Worker Security Database and the International NGO Safety Organization.

Woodward reaffirmed the UK’s unwavering commitment to ensuring aid workers can operate safely, saying: “The UK remains steadfast in our commitment to allowing aid workers to do their job in safety and preventing violence against aid workers from becoming the new normal.”